Sunday, June 22, 2014

Nomad

I am a nomad in the Promised Land
The land of milk and honey
I am near and I am far
To the East and from the West
But my Jewish map differs from yours.
I am uncertain of my way
Yet I am strengthened by the brightness of the stars.

We are one. We are holy. We are a covenantal people.
Yet where am I? Am I East Am I west?
Am I the child of my parents or of my chosen people?
The people I chose? Not those chosen for me?
Am I the ger? The stranger?
 Or am I just as familiar as Abraham or Moses, Sarah or Miriam?

As I wander through the desert I am wholly myself.
The words of Hashem whistle in the wind.
Here, in this space there is none else.
I am ger.
I am Jew.
I am welcomed.
I am loved.
I am East and West made one.

No comments:

Post a Comment