"If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle
- that's the thing.
And...always look on the bright
side of life..."
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle
- that's the thing.
And...always look on the bright
side of life..."
I thought the song lyrics to Always Look on the Bright Side of Life from Monty Python's Life of Brian seemed a bit appropriate for this week, but it's also very representative of how I try to look at life in general. In my last post, I mostly referred to those "jolly rotten" bits, and left out a bunch of really entertaining and exciting bits of my adventures. This post will fill you in on some of the moments I've forgotten.
-Starting Classes on Sunday!
-Discussing pertinent issues about Jewish life with my fellow students in very meaningful ways, about interdenominational dialogue, new programs for youth and teens, how we will be as rabbis what we want to be when we are finally rabbis and Jewish educators.
-Seeing a herd of goats walking in the middle of the street.
-Going to Tachana Rishona-The First Train Station which is a really cool new area in Jerusalem for concerts, food, and even Kabbalat Shabbat.
-Watching the world Cup with classmates.
-My classmates discovered how to play "Breaking Bailey." It's not like Breaking Bad. It's when I can't breathe because I'm laughing too hard. Breaking Bailey occurred, I believe for the first time, in class because the word for marker in Hebrew sounds like tush. Yes, I'm mature. Four hours in a classroom with Hebrew will do that to you.
-CLEANING, because I'm that person.
-Going to the Shuk (market) and discovering oddly shaped eggplant, Israeli craft beer, and amazing deals on wine (4 bottles for 100 shekels).
-STUDY PARTIES-less of a party more of a study session...because tests are on Thursdays.
-Brunch on Friday at a bookstore!
-Surviving the first week of pre-ulpan!
-Exploring the Old City-seeing a woman in an alcove in the Damascus Gate playing the harp and exploring the Cushion Exhibit-made of concrete.
-Finally, having a lovely shabbat with friends!
First night out with Ira, Ilana, and Zach!
First night out with Leah, Jen, and Amanda.
A herd of goats crossing the road in the middle of a busy intersection.
The weirdest shaped eggplants I've ever seen.
Israeli craft beers I'm excited to try.
Ira's gorgeous cup of real drip coffee (only place we've found that serves it) from Friday brunch.
Cool model near the municipality.
Palm trees!
Really neat painting of Jerusalem as the center of the world.
Touch me art installation. Would you guess that these are actually made of concrete!
Leah, Ira, and Zach lounging on the cushions!
My turn!
Cool deck of cards art installation in the Old City.
Kabbalat Shabbat song session with Nava Tehilah at Tachana Rishona. Notice the signs.
I knew Israeli's loved jazz and New Orleans, but the Tachana Rishona takes it to new levels.
Feels like home!





No comments:
Post a Comment