Sunday, February 1, 2015

Our Patriarchs and Matriarchs Updated

      Some kids are just really lucky. I was one of those kids. I don't remember a time in my life where there weren't adults other than my parents who I could talk to or look up to. Besides a handful of very influential teachers, most of the people I looked up to growing up were adults my parents age who treated me like a young adult, who respected me and who helped me to grow and to cultivate my talents. I think I realized as a young adult the blessing Slidell Little Theatre was for me, but I think now it's impact is really hitting home. Over the last 7 months two of the "patriarchs and matriarchs" of my SLT community have passed away. They were integral to my development as a child and a young adult. They gave me the space and the permission to be creative; to act, to sing, to pass out programs, to watch plays, to be a kid. At the same time, they respected my opinion and my views without always treating my like a child. Through their guidance and love, in addition to that of my family, I was able to truly flourish as a young adult and to grow into the woman I am today.
    Every time I go home, I make an effort to go back to SLT. Although the physical space is different and different young adults and adults play in it's hallowed halls, it's still a major part of who I am. As we get older, we realize that life is fleeting. But, today, I'd like to think less about the fleeting nature of life and more about the importance of "patriarchs and matriarchs" in our youth. Our parents and grandparents are more often than not the guiding lights in our lives, however, we often take for granted the important role other adults play in the lives of children. For me, it was the leaders and directors of my camp, and for others it could be their coach or teacher. It doesn't really matter who that person is to a child, just that a child has someone like that in their life.
   As I embark on the rabbinate, I hope to be that inspiration, that light to all those around me. If we can demonstrate to both children and adults that we can provide unconditional care and concern, we will make a deep impact on the world. Just listening and showing interest can make someone's day, especially a young adult. My friends and I prove the rule. We were given a space, Slidell Little Theatre and Young Actor's Theatre (Camp), to explore, to learn about ourselves, our art, and to interact with adults who respected and cared for us as if they were our aunts and uncles or older cousins or siblings. We then tried to pass their legacy onto the next generation of their kids and the next group of kids that came to SLT. We passed down their tradition, our tradition. They were our forefathers and mothers. They were our patriarchs and matriarchs.
   When Ms. Fabian passed away on Yom Kippur, I was devastated. She with the help of another woman had started and perpetuated the camp I went to for over ten summers, where I made my best friends, and where I came into my own. There was not a summer or vacation that went by without me visiting SLT in hopes of stealing a hug from Ms. Fay, Mr. Fred, Mr. Pat, Ms. Bonnie, Ms. Rose, and so many others (Julie and Paul). I was so lucky to have people in my life who I could turn to, who I could learn from outside of my family. My "patriarchs and matriarchs" helped me find my way, helped me discover who I was, and made me who I am today. Now, all I can hope is that I can do the same for those who enter my life, that I might guide them in their lives, and that I might better their lives just by existing for a fleeting moment in their worlds.

                                     "I am who I am today because I knew you."

            May their memories be for a blessing, Pat Mcloud and Fabian Martinez.

No comments:

Post a Comment